"I will not let the texture of my fur and the number of my legs dictate whether or not I can write poetry."
- Daisy, Feb 2010

Sunday 29 August 2010

Un Homage


You’ve been watching me some time, I know,
I see you from afar;
Don’t think that I don’t notice when
You’re crouched behind that car.
Or climbing up my drainpipes before
Resting on the ledge,
Tapping on my window and then
Falling in the hedge.
The first time that I saw you I did think
You were alright,
We had a hoot and I was sad
To return home that night.
We chased the pigeons, ate some treats 
And had a wee or three,
Sniffed some stuff and made some pals
And ran away from leads.
When I was taken home I recall
Thinking “What a shame,
I didn’t get her number,
Didn’t even ask her name.”
Little did I know that I would get to 
Know you well.
(Too well, and that your name - Saffy -
Would come to be a warning knell.)
It started slow, with daisys pinned around
Your little neck.
Un homage, I thought, how flattering!
I rather like this chick.
But then you growled at other hounds who
Came up close to me.
“Saff!” I said, “Do, please, behave!
There’s always room for three.”
Your soft face turned a shade of pink
I’d never seen before,
If we’d been home (not in the park)
You would’ve slammed a door.
Next day you dyed your coat the deepest,
Darkest shade of black.
I only clocked you by the wilting daisy
Drooping round your neck.
I trotted near to ask you what had
Happened to yourself,
Why you’d gone all goth on me
And if you’d lost your mental health.
You turned and tutted, raised a brow
And told me I had changed,
So it was then I understood
That you were quite deranged.
And from that day you’ve staked me round
The depths of London town.
Far down to Brixton, east to Bow
And up to Hackney Downs.
And when I hear that name, Saffroon,
Whistled on the wind
I know you are not far behind
And jump out of my skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment