"I will not let the texture of my fur and the number of my legs dictate whether or not I can write poetry."
- Daisy, Feb 2010

Sunday 29 August 2010

Mini-Me












At last I’ve found a protégé,
At last the time has come
For me to pass down all my gifts:
This could be rather fun.

Right, Fluffy, listen close, my dear,
I’ll say this only once,
So écoute, my precious one,
And get this in your bonce:
You’re cute, so sweet, a furry ball,
Make sure you stay as such.
None will e’er say no to you:
Your face will their hearts crush.
Look up, look high, keep those eyes wide
As dinner plates, small friend,
And then their playing with your ears
Will never come to end.
They’ll want to tuck you in their beds
And pop you on the shelf,
They’ll giggle when they see you near
And look after your health.
If you can flip onto your back
So they can scratch your tummy,
That’ll bag you brownie points - 
They think it’s so damn funny.

And once you’ve gained your access
Deep into their human hearts
It’s time to use that noggin, Fluff,
It’s time to play your cards.
You’ll know by then how to unlock
The back and kitchen doors,
And how to open up the safe,
Even on all fours.
You’ve seen the code, you know it well
So, go on, tap it in.
5, 6, 7, 7, 3 and 8,
Good pooch! Fetch that tin!
Fluff-Fluff, pass it over here,
That’s my clever girl.
You are a keeper, that’s for sure,
I’ve taught you oh so well.
And now, let’s scarper, let us scram,
Let’s hop aboard the plane,
I’ve had my eye, for quite some time,
On a condo in south Spain.
We’ll lounge all day beside the pool
With cocktails in our paws,
And no one will ever suspect
Two puppy dogs of fraud.

No comments:

Post a Comment