"I will not let the texture of my fur and the number of my legs dictate whether or not I can write poetry."
- Daisy, Feb 2010

Tuesday 9 March 2010

Beachy Lover, Spotted


I spotted you, you spotted thing,

Gazing out to sea.

Standing gracefully ‘neath the sun,

Just in front of me.


Your tail so pert, your coat so white,

Your ears so floppy black,

Your long, fine legs were carrying

The smooth slope of your back.


I stopped fast when I spotted you

And turned back on myself;

I knew you would be trouble but

Sometimes one just can’t help oneself.


I coughed a little - coyly, like -

And kicked about some sand,

Hoping that you’d turn around and

Take me by the hand


And whisk me off to paradise
On T’other end of beach.

But turn to face me you did not,

Our love, it felt so out of reach.


I thought of all the wondrous things

We could have done together:

Chasing cats and eating bones

In just all kinds of weather.


Taking long walks on the shore -
Peaceful, me and you -

We could have played chess or backgammon,

Even rented a canoe.


I saw a gang of little puppies:

Furry, spotty, white.

I saw our future, knew it well

And vowed you would be mine tonight.


I puffed my snowy, downy coat

And slicked back wayward hair,

Prepared to venture up to you
And make you see me, make you care.


The walk to you was infinite,

A never-ending stroll,

(I even tripped on a big shell

And used a child to break my fall)


But the second that I reached your side

I knew that I’d come home,

I didn’t even need the words

I’d carefully jotted down.


I lay my head upon your side and rested,

Closed my eyes,

But what you did next startled me,

Your actions took me by surprise:


You growled at me, you bared your teeth,

Ready to attack,

My eyes popped open and I jumped

And then I stumbled quite far back.


Turns out you were not quite the man

You had seemed from back there.

My heart did rip asunder

As you barked at me, disturbed the air.


I scuttled off (I have to say,

I was a little scared),

Part of me - no, all of me -

Had really thought you’d truly care.


Alas, alack, ‘twas not to be,

Our peachy, beachy love.

But, hark! Check out that spaniel, there!

Right, Spotty, scram! Just beat it! Shove!

No comments:

Post a Comment