"I will not let the texture of my fur and the number of my legs dictate whether or not I can write poetry."
- Daisy, Feb 2010

Wednesday 24 February 2010

Cat



I see you.

You are in the box,

The one on the table.

The small brown one

Which originally held

Nothing in particular

Now holds you.


It looks a tight squeeze

But then you have curled

Yourself into smaller spots:

Coiled yourself onto the warm

Tip of the ironing board,

Folded up inside the tumble drier,

Buried your head in scarves and

Tucked four paws and a tight little

Body behind one banana in

The fruit bowl.


Sometimes I wish I, too,

Like you,

Were a Cat, with
Jellybean toes and
Wise, marble eyes.


I would not be pulled

On a string but pull

Myself through flaps

And onto laps,

And when I purred

They would tickle my

Chin and smile.


But then I notice that
Your bowl is smaller than

Mine. I grin down on your

high box, stretch paws out

On my rug,

And nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment